Thursday, May 3, 2012

Tipu's Fort.......

I have been to Tipu Sultan's Fort in Palakad with my parents when I was a kid. I have a vague memory of that.....but the fort I remember and what we saw this time was different. It could be that I was young then and my sense of scale and the way I saw the fort would have been in a very different light or the ASI has done extensive work in the preservation of the Fort and deemed it unrecognisable! 
Whatever it is, it was a good experience and I am glad we took the time out to go there. Palakad was very very hot but there was a beautiful cool breeze blowing in the evening and the huge huge trees and the open spaces enhanced the breeze around the fort. The fort also houses a temple. That and the children's park in the compound makes it a popular space for everyone in Palakad. 
What impressed me most about the Fort was the moat running all around it....they have maintained it very well. The waters are teeming with little turtles. With the number of people visiting I expected to see lots of garbage thrown in but the waters were quite clean.
Wonder if Tipu had ever thought that such a mighty fort would be a such a popular spot in Palakad one day.....
Leena

No comments:

Post a Comment